Award: Certificate in Health Information Technology
For more information: Contact Prof. Sherry Massoni,
443-412-2645, email@example.com; or Admissions, 443-412-2109.
|No. of credits required: |
This certificate is designed to enable students to obtain requisite knowledge, skills, and competencies in the challenging healthcare field and be prepared to sit for the CompTIA HIT certification exam.
Marylandís Health Information Technology Workforce reports the following competencies necessary for HIT positions:
- Critical thinking: focus on the big picture and problem solving
- Clinical integration/interoperability: identifying tools and techniques to improve collaboration regarding patient care
- Informatics: apply data to improvements in outcomes regarding clinical care
- Applications: ability to use specific IT tools and applications
- Project management and leadership: ability to manage workflow and lead diverse, interdisciplinary teams
- Customer relations and service, including patient engagement
- Communication skills: listening, writing, speaking
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly to new trends and technologies
- Change management and process improvement
- Security and privacy issues
- Reporting and compliance issues
Students who successfully complete the Health Information Certificate will be able to:
- Use the language of health information technology and demonstrate effective and professional communication skills in a healthcare setting.
- Apply technology skills required of healthcare professionals.
- Examine various healthcare information system technologies and project management methodologies.
- Demonstrate problem-solving skills to use healthcare information effectively, ethically, and legally.
- Describe the general functions, purposes and benefits of database management systems in healthcare organizations.
- Apply database knowledge in data exchange and information sharing.
According to the latest projected employment data from the 2016-2017 Occupational Outlook Handbook, opportunities should be best for applicants with an extensive knowledge base in healthcare information data management and related computer software application skills. According to the 2016-2017 Occupational Outlook Handbook, HIT employment is expected to increase by 15% by 2024, faster than the average for all occupations, as the demand for health services increase as our population ages. Plus, an emphasis on electronic medical records is a key focus of healthcare reform.
Health Information Technology
Program Level - Undergraduate certificate
Program Length - 1.5 years
Occupations: Health Information Clerk, Health Information Specialist, Health Information Technician, Registered Health Information Technician
Link to O*Net: www.onetonline.org/link/summary/29-2017.00
*How much will this program cost me?
Tuition and fees: $3,642.00
Books and supplies: $921.00
On-campus room & board: not offered
*The amounts shown above include costs for the entire program, assuming normal time to completion. Note that this information is subject to change.
What financing options are available to help me pay for this program?
Financing for this program may be available through grants, scholarships, loans (federal and private) and institutional financing plans. The median amount of debt for program graduates is shown below:
Federal loans: *
Private education loans: *
Institutional financing plan: *
* Less than 10 graduates received loans. Median amounts are withheld to preserve the confidentiality of the loan recipients.
How long will it take me to complete this program?
The program is designed to take 1.5 years to complete. Of those that completed the program in 2015-2016, *% finished in 1.5 years.
*Less than 10 students completed this program in 2015-2016. The number who finished within the normal time has been withheld to preserve the confidentiality of the students.
What are my chances of getting a job when I graduate?
The job placement rate for students who completed this program in 2015-2016 is *%.
* This institution is not currently required to calculate a job placement rate for program completers.
Gainful Employment Disclosure Template:
To earn a certificate from HCC, students must complete or demonstrate exemption from the following courses: ENG 003 and ENG 012, or ENG 018; and MATH 020. See graduation requirement details in this catalog for further information.