Award: Certificate in Computer Information Systems
For more information: Contact Asst. Prof. David Law, 443-412-2264, email@example.com; or Admissions, 443-412-2109.
|No. of credits required: |
This certificate program is recommended for students with a baccalaureate degree wishing to explore and/or make a career change to the computer field. The courses prepare students to solve business, administrative or statistical problems by utilizing computer software, language, and systems.
Upon successful completion of this program of study, students will be able to:
- Analyze the use of commercial software applications, hardware, networks, programming, and other technologies in information systems at a level of competence appropriate to joining the workforce.
- Use, maintain and modify existing information systems.
- Design and implement new information systems.
- Demonstrate the skills to work in a business environment including working in teams, project management, and professional and effective communication with a wider audience.
* Any CIS/CSI course(s) may be taken to satisfy the CIS elective.
** Programming electives include CIS 111, 201, 205, 207,
214, 215, 217, 219, 221, 225, and CSI 131 and 132.
The Occupational Outlook Handbook from the U.S. Department of Labor forecasts that careers in the computer industry are expected to increase by 11% adding over 88,500 positions by 2026. The report indicates continued growth of the computer industry.
Students earning a certificate from HCC must complete or demonstrate exemption from the following courses: ENG 003 and ENG 012, or ENG 018, and MATH 020. See graduation
requirement details in this catalog for further information.
Note: The following codes identify courses which satisfy the General Education Degree Requirements:|