Award: Certificate in Biotechnology
For more information: Contact Jaclyn Madden, 443-412-2046, email@example.com (August 15 – June 15); and firstname.lastname@example.org or Admissions, 443-412-2019, email@example.com (year-round).
|No. of credits required: |
The Biotechnology Certificate program prepares students
in the techniques and skills needed for entry-level bioscience
laboratory work. By stressing the basic principles of the
natural and physical sciences, with strong emphasis on
biotechnology and analytical techniques and applications, the
program prepares students for semiprofessional employment
in biotechnology, chemical, and biological laboratories.
The certificate also lays the foundation for more advanced
education in the sciences, and will allow students with a
previous degree in the sciences to obtain the skills necessary
for employment in the rapidly-expanding biotechnology
sector. The bioscience/biotechnology industry is expected
to continue to experience growth and to remain a high
priority in Maryland.
Upon completion of the Biotechnology Certificate, the student will be able to:
- Describe and explain concepts in biotechnology and the biomanufacturing process.
- Practice professional integrity and competency integral to biotechnology research, industry, and ethics.
- Design, organize, and manage a laboratory notebook including protocols and experimental results.
- Perform basic laboratory skills essential for following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs), and laboratory safety.
- Collect, analyze and interpret scientific data, using computer technologies and established research and statistical methods.
- Use and apply the scientific method to develop, organize, execute and interpret experiments in a logical and timely manner.
- Communicate effectively in oral and written English.
- Evaluate the effects of biotechnology on society.
- Illustrate the potential for teamwork by working effectively with others.
- Employ laboratory methods and techniques required by emerging technologies in the field of biotechnology.
NOTE: It is recommended that students complete the REQUIRED COURSES for the biotechnology certificate in the sequence they are listed.
* For the Independent Study: Biology course contact STEM division dean for more information.
Students earning a certificate from HCC must complete or demonstrate exemption from the following courses: ENG 003 and ENG 012, or ENG 018, and MATH 020. See graduation
requirement details in this catalog for further information.
Note: The following codes identify courses which satisfy the General Education Degree Requirements:|