Award: Certificate in Biotechnology
For more information: Contact Jaclyn Madden, 443-412-2046, firstname.lastname@example.org (August 15 – June 15); and email@example.com or Admissions, 443-412-2019, firstname.lastname@example.org (year-round).
|No. of credits required: |
The Biotechnology Certificate program prepares students
in the techniques and skills needed for entry-level bioscience
laboratory work. By stressing the basic principles of the
natural and physical sciences, with strong emphasis on
biotechnology and analytical techniques and applications, the
program prepares students for semiprofessional employment
in biotechnology, chemical, and biological laboratories.
The certificate also lays the foundation for more advanced
education in the sciences, and will allow students with a
previous degree in the sciences to obtain the skills necessary
for employment in the rapidly-expanding biotechnology
sector. The bioscience/biotechnology industry is expected
to continue to experience growth and to remain a high
priority in Maryland.
Upon completion of the Biotechnology Certificate, the student will be able to:
- Describe and explain concepts in biotechnology and the biomanufacturing process.
- Practice professional integrity and competency integral to biotechnology research, industry, and ethics.
- Design, organize, and manage a laboratory notebook including protocols and experimental results.
- Perform basic laboratory skills essential for following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs), and laboratory safety.
- Collect, analyze and interpret scientific data, using computer technologies and established research and statistical methods.
- Use and apply the scientific method to develop, organize, execute and interpret experiments in a logical and timely manner.
- Communicate effectively in oral and written English.
- Evaluate the effects of biotechnology on society.
- Illustrate the potential for teamwork by working effectively with others.
- Employ laboratory methods and techniques required by emerging technologies in the field of biotechnology.
NOTE: It is recommended that students complete the REQUIRED COURSES for the biotechnology certificate in the sequence they are listed.
* For the Independent Study: Biology course contact STEM division dean for more information.
Students earning a certificate from HCC must complete or demonstrate exemption from the following courses: ENG 003 and ENG 012, or ENG 018, and MATH 020. See graduation
requirement details in this catalog for further information.
Program Level - Undergraduate certificate
Program Length - 2 years
*How much will this program cost me?
In-State (in-county) Tuition and fees: $5,528.00
Out-of-State Tuition and fees: $8,606.00
Books and supplies: $1059.00
On-campus room & board: not offered
*The amounts shown above include costs for the entire program, assuming normal time to completion. Note that this information is subject to change.
What financing options are available to help me pay for this program?
Financing for this program may be available through grants, scholarships, loans (federal and private) and institutional financing plans. The median amount of debt for program graduates is shown below:
Federal loans: *
Private education loans: *
Institutional financing plan: *
* Less than 10 graduates received loans. Median amounts are withheld to preserve the confidentiality of the loan recipients.
How long will it take me to complete this program?
The program is designed to take 2 year to complete. Of those that completed the program in 2016-2017, *% finished in 2 year.
*Less than 10 students completed this program in 2016-2017. The number who finished within the normal time has been withheld to preserve the confidentiality of the students.
What are my chances of getting a job when I graduate?
The job placement rate for students who completed this program in 2016-2017 is *%.
* This institution is not currently required to calculate a job placement rate for program completers.
Gainful Employment Disclosure Template: http://ww2.harford.edu/gedt/41.0101-GEDT.html
Note: The following codes identify courses which satisfy the General Education Degree Requirements:|