Award: Associate of Arts Degree
For more information: Contact Dr. Sheila Allen at 443-412-2192, email@example.com; or Admissions, 443-412-2109.
|No. of credits required: |
This degree program prepares students for transfer into a four-year college or university education program in a specific area of study (e.g. biology, history, physical education, etc.). High school preparation should include four units of English, four units of math of which two should be algebra, and three units of science. Students should plan to take Praxis CORE or an equivalent assessment near completion of 45 credits. Check with transfer institution for pre-professional test requirements.
The teacher education student is expected to select an area of specialization for this degree based on the subject that he/she plans to teach. A minimum of twelve credits should be taken in the area of specialization or in related subjects. Consult with an advisor for appropriate course selection.
Twelve (12) credits must be taken in an area of specialization. See the following page for appropriate course selection in your area of specialization. Select courses in accordance with transfer institution requirements. See an advisor for assistance.
Upon completion of the Teacher Education A.A. degree programs, students will be able to
- Demonstrate professional teaching behavior including effective communication.
- Discuss the development of education/curriculum and select instructional techniques appropriate for a variety of students.
- Describe influences on growth and development, as well as theories of learning.
- Make decisions in accordance with legal and ethical standards.
- Summarize past and present practices pertaining to education.
Past graduates of this program have transferred to four-year state colleges and universities in Maryland and to private and public colleges nationwide. To facilitate transfer, students should consult with an academic advisor early in their studies at HCC and before selecting elective courses.
According to the United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, elementary and middle school teaching positions will grow by 12% from 2012-2022 while high school teaching positions will grow by 6%.
Recommended Course Sequence
* Students are required to participate in a thirty-hour field placement experience in addition to time spent in EDUC101 (Introduction to Education) and EDUC 217 (Introduction to Special Education). Field placement experiences take place sometime during regular school hours, generally between 8:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. A criminal record check will be conducted prior to students entering a school setting.
AREA OF SPECIALIZATION REQUIREMENTS
|MUSIC SPECIALIZATION (Instrumental and/or Vocal)|
|Students interested in teaching music should major in music and register for EDUC 101 in the first semester as the general elective and PSY 101 as the GB elective. Students are encouraged to also take EDUC 217 although it is not required for the music degree.
(select 12 credits total from one or more specialization)
Select concentration courses in accordance with requirements at transfer institution. See an advisor for assistance.
Speak with an advisor if you are interested in teaching a subject which is not listed.
*These courses are inactive. Please meet with an advisor to discuss possibilities.